Department News

The Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Volunteer Fire Department, encourages safety for the upcoming holiday and winter season, posted below are numerous safety tips form the provincial office of Fire and Emergency Services.

General Tips

  • Ensure local emergency numbers are known and posted in the home to facilitate quick notification of responders in the event of an emergency (fire, police, ambulance).
    • Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Volunteer Fire Department 592-2222
    • Smiths Ambulance 1877-709-9111
    • RCMP – 709-75-2600
  • Inspect all heating equipment annually and clean, repair and replace as necessary.
  • Test smoke alarms regularly.
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.
  • Be attentive when cooking. Ensure stovetops are free of flammable materials and keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.

Christmas tree

  • Choose a real tree that is freshly cut. It will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard.
  • Place a real tree in a stand that will hold two to three litres of water and top it up daily. Use a tree stand that has widespread legs for better balance.
  • Keep all trees away from heat sources such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors or windows.
  • Never use lighted candles on any Christmas tree.
  • Remove a real tree within 10 to 14 days.

Candles
Candles are a leading cause of residential fires in Canada. It is recommended that residents never use open flame candles, but if you do:

  • Never leave burning candles unattended.
  • Only use candles with adult supervision.
  • Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from children and pets, as well as drafts, curtains or other combustibles.
  • Extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to sleep.

Lights

  • Use tested and certified light strings/sets.
  • Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light sets burn too hot indoors.
  • Inspect light strings/set before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires. Discard if faulty.
  • Do not use electric light strings/sets on metallic trees, as it may pose an electrocution hazard.
  • Turn off all tree and display lights before going to bed or leaving the house.

Decorations

  • Choose decorations that are flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
  • Avoid using angel hair (glass wool) together with spray-on snowflakes. This combination is highly combustible.
  • Do not use metallic ornaments on the tree. If they make contact with defective wiring they could become a shock hazard.
  • If there are young children or pets in the home, avoid very small decorations.

Space Heaters

  • Maintain a one metre separation between combustible items such as paper, furniture and curtains.
  • When buying a new space heater, make sure it carries the mark of an independent testing laboratory for use in Canada, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
  • Turn off space heaters when the room is unoccupied or under circumstances when manufacturer’s instructions say they should be turned off.
  • Portable space heaters are easy to knock over in the dark and should be turned off while sleeping.

Fuel-Based and Electric Heating

  • In a fireplace or wood stove, use only dry, seasoned wood to avoid the build-up of creosote deposits that easily catch fire and account for most chimney fires and the largest share of home heating fires generally. Use only paper or kindling wood, not a flammable liquid, to start the fire. While their use is safe in fireplaces, do not use artificial logs in wood stoves.
  • Ensure a fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room. Allow fireplace and woodstove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container, which is kept a safe distance from the home.
  • Ensure fuel-burning equipment such as stoves or fireplaces are vented to the outside, that the venting is kept clear and unobstructed, and that the exit point is properly sealed around the vent, all of which is to make sure deadly carbon monoxide does not build up in the home.

The annual Santa Claus Parade sponsored by the Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Volunteer Fire Department will be held on Saturday December 1st 2012. It will begin at the end of Long Cove and travel along the main road to Harris L. Smith Limited in Chapel Arm.

The Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Volunteer Fire Department encourages all business, organizations, and residents to enter a float in the parade.

In the event of poor weather, the Parade will be held on Sunday December 2nd 2012.

For more information contact Corey Hudson; 592-2740 or 680-2711

 

 

Saturday November 10 2012 was a day the Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Volunteer Fire Department had been awaiting for seventeen months. That day marked the arrival of a new 2012 Fire Rescue Truck. Initially announced in June 2011 by Minster Kevin O’Brien, the new Truck will be put into service as an equipment and personnel carrier. It replaces a 1990 modified cube van that had served the same purpose, but which had been plagued with safety issues and mechanical problems which caused considerable concern to fire department members. A large amount of their time was dedicated to keeping the old van it in a ready state to respond. The new truck will allow the department to respond quickly with confidence that their equipment is safe and will not break down on route to an emergency.

The new truck was purchased with the provincial government’s assistance on a 90/10 cost-share ratio. With a total cost just shy of $200,000, the fire department’s share was nearly $20,000 which it had been fund raising for over several years.

Saturday’s events included a parade through the Towns of Chapel Arm and Norman’s Cove-Long Cove followed by an open house and reception that was sponsored by the Fire Department, Firettes, and the Town of Norman’s Cove-Long Cove. District MHA Calvin Peach was on hand to present Fire Chief Colin Newhook and Norman’s Cove-Long Cove Mayor Eva Bennett with the keys to the new truck.

2012 Walk-In Equipment Unit 2012 Walk-In Equipment Unit

More photos of the new Truck are available in the Photo Gallery.

Up next for the department is to purchase a generator and portable pump to support the new truck.